The Ducote Family

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Welcome Ella Jane!

On Friday, December 21st I went to Ben Taub hospital for my 39 week appointment.  Rich had a meeting so I left Joseph home with a babysitter thinking it was going to be a pretty quick appointment (well, as quick as going downtown to Ben Taub can be!) I was pretty nervous about this appointment because I was hoping they would be able to strip my membranes in hopes to get things moving and as we were nearing Christmas I really didn't want to be in the hospital over Christmas so was hoping for some progress (which is what I needed to get my membranes stripped anyways.)  They called me back and did my weight and blood pressure and my blood pressure was high (140/90).  I am convinced it was high due to my anxiety about the appointment but the nurses were definitely concerned, especially because normally my blood pressure is on the lower side (110/70 or so).  They did a second reading about 20 minutes later and it although it had gone down a bit, it was still high at 122/92 and that is when they told me that they weren't going to let me leave and that I was going to have this baby today! I definitely had tears in my eyes mostly because I thought of Joseph and didn't feel like I got to give him one last hug as an only child and was basically in shock.  I called Rich and he made plans to go home, bring Joseph to Eve's house and then to come to the hospital.  By the time Rich made it down (it was close to 5) I was still waiting.  My appointment was at 11 that morning so it had been a long day of waiting!  By 6 we were admitted into a room and things were getting set up to get our sweet little girl moving out.  All of the nurses and doctors that came in were very positive that we would have a successful vbac and my body actually started having contractions on its own.  I was still going to need pitocin which I was hoping to avoid since all of the research that I had done with vbacs recommended to avoid it but I was assured that they would start on a very low dose and move slowly.  By 6:45 they began the pitocin and the following is what my doula wrote about the birth-she captured everything so nicely:

Dear Ella,
At 7:45 pm on Friday, December 21, 2012 Pitocin began flowing into your mother's body, creating the contractions that would lead to your long-awaited birth.  Her labor pains were minimal for the first few hours, then at 11:15 pm her water broke and contractions strengthened.  Thirty minutes later she received an epidural to ease the intensity of your coming.

The epidural offered incomplete relief in its first few hours.  As you worked your way towards your first face-to-face meeting with her, your mother labored in bed breathing through each contraction, a cool washcloth on her forehead, and your father's hands or mine pressing on her lower back or hips.  Unimaginably, she dozed lightly between contractions.  Perhaps you were doing the same.

Your mother maintained her upbeat and friendly demeanor throughout your birth.  Even in the middle of the night.  Even when spoken to during a contraction.  Even after having been at the hospital since 11:00 that morning-an unexpected stay following a routine prenatal appointment.

By 3:30 am both your parents were sleeping soundly, the pain medication having taken full effect.

Just before 5:00 am your mother was fully dilated.  She labored in bed for another 45 minutes until the urge came to push you out.  She pushed like it was second nature to her-bearing down three times with each contraction, requiring little time to learn how and little rest in between.  Your head, with its long strands of hair, peeked out into the world.

After seventeen minutes, at 6:02 am on Saturday, December 22, 2012 you, Ella Jane, were born to the cheers and tears of your father and placed on your mother's chest.  You weighed 8 lbs, 12 ozs and were 19 5/8 inches long.

Ella, your father's love for you and your mother was apparent in the way he supported her, holding her hand during contractions, and in his giddiness and tenderness as you entered the world.

Your mother's love for you was apparent, too, as she chose the difficult path to meet you-becoming education on her options post-cesarean, changing doctors and hospitals at 36 weeks pregnant, voicing again and again her desire to bring you in the world in the way nature intended.

And she did.  She birthed you, her beautiful little girl.

"I feel sorry for people who only have c-sections," she said.

You, Ella, had assumed your place in the family and in the process gifted your mother with a greater love and sense of accomplishment than you can now imagine.

I hope your family's warmth carries you through the years ahead and your mother's strength one day inspires you.

Blessings for a lifetime of happiness,
Ashley Kim, Doula

No comments:

Post a Comment