The Ducote Family

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Little White Lies

We are loving Joseph's age because he seems so grown-up, independent and his comments throughout the day and imagination just amaze us!  He is into a phase right now of telling me that he loves me so much just randomly throughout the day.  So sweet!  But, of course with all of these things that we love about this age, 3 is also a bit challenging with his selective hearing and teasing of his sister.  One thing that has taken us by surprise is his "ability" to tell little white lies and his "ability" to do so without missing a beat.  Last weekend, Rich found a pile of poop in our yard by our gate.  Upon inspection we decided that it had to be his so we called him over to ask him about it.  We asked him, "Joseph did you poop right here?"  He looked at us quietly, thought about it and then said, "I think that's mud."  I still get a giggle now while writing his response.  "Uh, no, Joseph, that isn't mud!!"  Nice try buddy.  As soon as he said, "I think..." I knew that he did it because that has been his trend with other lies as well (such as when he peed on the bathroom floor and I caught him doing it "I think it is water that spilled.")  When I heard his response though about it being mud, I had to turn away because I really was giggling and couldn't believe that is what he came up with.  Rich finally got it out of him that he did poop in the yard but from now on we only pee in the yard (if it is an emergency) and that we never poop in the yard! Boys!
He also has lied about knocking Ella down.  One day I was in the kitchen and they were in the dining room playing and then she started crying.  I walked in there and she was on the floor crying.  He said to me, "Mom, I think she fell when she was walking"  I almost bought it until he kept elaborating, "She was walking and then this ball came rolling by her and she tripped on the ball and then the toy was there and she fell on that and then she tripped over the water that is there on the floor."  (There was no water on the floor and when I asked him about what happened to it he said he cleaned it up.)  Nice try Joseph.
I definitely never imagined dealing with lying at the age of 3 and hard to believe that this sweet face can tell these little white lies but figure we better work with him now about it before it turns into a bigger issue!
Joseph's spring school picture-March 20, 2014
Little Saints at St. Anthony of Padua

No comments:

Post a Comment