The Ducote Family

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

First Race

On Saturday, April 20th, I competed in my first race in a very, very long time.  A bunch of my girlfriends were signed up to do it and I wanted to join in on the fun-plus the race was right here in The Woodlands so it made it super easy.  I signed up for the 10K and I hadn't really been training for the race-I have been running occasionally but hadn't run longer than 5.5 miles until the Monday before the race.  With the help of Nani I snuck away to the gym during naptime and ran 6.5 miles on the treadmill just to make sure that I could go that far for race day.  I wasn't very fast on the treadmill but I did it so figured I could at least finish the race.
The day of the race was so fun and I felt great-definitely had race jitters but it was so fun to be with the girls and just in the race environment.  Carrie picked me up and we all met up at Market Street.  The run was titled "Run for Hope" and the cause was for foster children and stopping the abuse of children.  They had a touching ceremony before the race and then energized the crowd by playing the Harlem Shake (a new fad sweeping the country).  I think we were the only people dancing (other than the race organizers) but it was hilarious.  As soon as the music started we just all started dancing-no hesitation at all and we didn't care that we were the only ones busting a move!  I won't post the video here but if you are interested in seeing a bunch of mommas breaking it down checkout my facebook page for the video.
The girls before the race.  
The race itself was just as great as the race warm-up.  It was a bit chilly to begin but the sun was out and it was perfect running weather.  I surprised myself and finished the 10K race in 48:57 which is a 7:54 minute mile.  I haven't run that fast in a long time and not sure if the speed came from normally pushing the double or from the new pants that I bought (my girlfriends and I joke around that these pants make you super fast-considering how much I paid for them they should!)  Joseph and Ella are great training partners- I haven't run by myself more than 3 times so pushing that double must have made me faster!  When running with Joseph and Ella the runs consist of picking up snacks, cups, shoes, putting the pacifier in Ella's mouth, singing the Wheels on the Bus, stopping to have Joseph pee in the bushes, answering Joseph's many questions, telling Joseph to stop touching his sister and so on and so on-as much as I love my children it is always such a treat to run by myself!
Saying hi to the fam and the Conley family during the race!  It is such an awesome feeling having family and friends cheer you on.

 Carrie and I after the race.  She is a great running partner and we must look like quite the sight when we run together both pushing our doubles!  Carrie has gotten  so much faster since I have met her and she is a great inspiration to see how much she has improved and I am so thankful for her friendship and for her encouragement.
I was really impressed that Rich got both kids fed, dressed and out of the door on time to come see the race.  As I ran by both kids were happy and having fun and that is all I can ask for!  It wasn't until after the race that I noticed Ella's outfit-Daddy figured to keep her extra warm he would put the "outfit"that he chose for her over her pajamas!!  She was stylin'!  

No comments:

Post a Comment