The Ducote Family

Friday, May 8, 2015

Ready to swim

My good friend, Jamie, teaches infant swimming self rescue classes and we decided to sign Ella up this year for lessons.  We didn't go that route with Joseph when he was Ella's age; however, after a very scary incident with Joseph in the pool we decided that it would be in Ella's best interest, plus, I've been very impressed with seeing kids in the water who have gone through lessons with her.  Ella is so comfortable around Jamie from seeing her so often and she just loves her which made the decision so much easier, too. I knew that she was in great hands.  
As a sidenote, I don't think I ever blogged about the incident with Joseph in the pool (probably because it was too hard to write about as it still brings tears to my eyes) but when he was 18 months we were at a friend's house with a few other moms and kids and I asked a friend to watch Joseph while I used the restroom.  As I returned to the pool area, I remember scanning the area and all I saw were Joseph's hands reaching up in the air from underneath the water with the top of his head submerged.  I started running to the pool and as I reached the steps another one of my friends had also noticed him underneath and dove in and got him (not the friend that was supposed to be watching him).  Thankfully he was able to talk after a few coughs and was just shaken up.  When he asked for a cookie, I knew that he was ok!  We ended up staying at my friend's pool for awhile because I wanted to get him back in the water (safely this time) and be sure that he wasn't afraid and he did great. I was able to hold it together until we left and I got into the car and totally lost it.  I called Rich hysterical and started off with "Everyone is ok now but..."  I then called Jamie and I'm pretty sure that I told her that Ella (who I was then pregnant with) would definitely be enrolling in lessons with her, which brings us to today!
So, now 2 years later Ella was ready to swim.  I was definitely a little apprehensive about the infant self rescue classes but I was so impressed.  Throughout the week, Jamie did a great job of building trust with Ella and working on the skills that she needs if ever put into a drowning situation.  Ella never did anything that she didn't want to do and again the fact that she has such a great relationship with Jamie definitely helped.  The swim lessons were for thirty minutes five days straight.  Jamie warned me that on Wednesday Ella probably wouldn't want to go and sure enough about 30 minutes before heading to Jamie's house Ella started crying and saying "No swimming".  I was able to calm her down and get her excited about it but once we arrived  at Jamie's she got upset again but Jamie is so nurturing and calmed her down and she did great that day.  By Friday, Ella was jumping off the big rock at the end of Jamie's pool and floating all the way across the pool on her back getting to the side and then flipping over to hold on to the side where she would be safe.  It is pretty amazing!  Ella talked about going to swim at Jamie's the entire week after and almost nightly in the bath now she says "Watch!" as she puts her head under and then rolls to her back.  We are so excited to get her into the water this summer.  All of our kids are definitely water babies-they have all loved the water from an early age and Joseph and Ella are already excited about our beach and pool trips this summer.
Here she is jumping off of the side by herself.  She is now able to get to her back and float to a side of the pool to hold on to it safely.
On Wednesday we went to the mall to ride the carousel (and I had to return a few things) to celebrate her doing such an awesome job.  She insisted on wearing the sunglasses while on the carousel.  I just LOVE her and her BIG personality!!!  She is honestly so funny and now that she is talking SO much more she just makes us laugh all of the time.
Here is a video from Friday, May 8th.  She makes it to the side on her own but I cut it since it was just watching her float on over.  SO proud of her!

No comments:

Post a Comment