The Ducote Family

Saturday, May 19, 2018

spring break

Spring break was the week of April 9th-13th this year so was kind of a random time since it didn't tag along with Easter but we were ready for the break and had such a great week!  We didn't travel at all but just enjoyed San Diego and not having to rush out of the house every morning.  We definitely kept busy though!!  
We kicked off the week with the kids spending the night at Nani and Poppa's since Rich and I had a party for one of his running buddies.  We spent the afternoon at a distillery with his friends and then went downtown for dinner at Ruth's Chris just the two of us which was really nice.  The kids, of course, had a great afternoon and night at Nani and Poppa's.  
On Monday morning, after a run, I headed up to my parent's house to get the kids and we headed to the Safari Park.  Poppa had to fly to San Francisco but Nani joined us and it was a great morning.  It was the last week of the butterfly exhibit so we were able to experience that, which we had never done before, and it was pretty neat!  We also saw a bird show which we have never seen-we love having the annual passes so we can go often for just a few hours at a time and go back often and experience new things! 
Ella was ready with her watermelon! 
The butterflies loved Nani's back!!!  
On Tuesday we had some friends over in the morning for a playdate for Joseph and Ella and then in the afternoon we made our way to Fletcher Cove to meet up with Lindsay and Finn.  We were planning on just playing at the playground but made our way down to the beach and of course by the end everyone was soaked with no clothes to change into or towels to dry off with but they were all such great sports and loved it all!  
On Wednesday we met the Ozecks at the zoo which was a good time as always!  
We spent a lot of time with the red bottom monkeys which seem to be the latest favorite! 
We brought cupcakes to celebrate Laura's birthday which was the next day!  
On Thursday we visited the library and then went to the park where Joseph and I had our first ever race.  A few weeks ago, Joseph won an award at school for the top runner in the 1st grader for the Fun Run!  We are super proud of him and of course sent a picture of him with his medal to all of our family.  My dad called him that afternoon and I overheard Joseph say to him on the phone, "I couldn't beat my father, but I could beat my mother."  What!?!?  I gave him a hard time about saying that and then we planned our race!  So, over spring break the long awaited race was upon us!!  We went to a park that had a loop and Joseph decided that he wanted to race two times around it.  I have to admit that the first lap we were neck and neck with one another and he had some good race tactics of running in front of me and trying to block me from passing him.  I couldn't stop laughing and smiling at first but then I will admit that I was starting to get annoyed-ha ha!  He was definitely persistent but in the end run I think he wasted too much energy trying to run me off the course and I won :). He was a *pretty* good sport about it though and he's decided that his goal this summer is to beat me so he'll keep practicing.  Love his competitive spirit!  
 That afternoon we went to the Corvette Diner to meet up with my friends, Christie and Kristie, from Hawaii.  It was so fun to reconnect with both of them and the kids love that restaurant so everyone was happy!  
On Friday we met up with friends at the Westwood Club and swam and played which was a perfect ending to the week! 

  
 We went to Nani and Poppa's with the Ozecks to swim on Saturday since it was such a beautiful day! 
Although we stayed very busy, it was so nice to have some downtime during the week, too!  I know, Joseph, especially enjoys just being at home to play since during the school year he really doesn't get a chance to so we definitely took advantage of that extra time!
Charlotte loved having "bra bra" home, too!!

Hanging out in the cul de sac with all of the neighbors one evening during the week!  
We spent the final day of spring break swimming in our pool which was the perfect last day to break! Rich (and the kids) talked me into going out to dinner that night to finish out the week which made the transition back into reality a little easier.  
On Monday morning Joseph asked to eat breakfast outside and Charlotte followed suit so I had to snap a picture before we were off to school!  Back in the routine but it was such a great week off that it has us all looking forward to summer! 



No comments:

Post a Comment