The Ducote Family

Sunday, May 18, 2014

I wanna be like you!

There is a country song by Rodney Atkins called "Watching You" and the chorus is:  "I've been watching you dad, ain't that cool. I'm your buckeroo, I wanna be like you, and eat my food, and grow as tall as you are."
I heard this song earlier today and couldn't help but smile!  We are pretty immersed in triathlon life right now and although some of the days get long with Daddy training so much it all makes it worth it when I see Joseph (and even Ella) learning and watching from his dedication, motivation and accomplishments. I can't imagine our kids having a better role model and father to look up to.  I love that we are teaching our kids about our healthy and active lifestyles at such a young age.  Joseph often asks to "play triathlon" and loves wearing Daddy's helmet, drinking his gatorade, trying on his bike shoes and riding his bike around the cul-de-sac with Daddy as he leaves for a ride.  
Here are a few pictures of Joseph "playing triathlon" early one morning:
He knows always to start with the swim
Then he pretends to take his wetsuit off, put on his pretend helmet and bike clips and to hop on the bike (which is hilarious to watch because although he is just running through the house he runs differently to differentiate between the bike and the run and it looks like he  has a towel or something stuck in between his legs .)  
And then he puts his running shoes on and is off for the run!
Coming towards the finish line!  
Here is Joseph's biggest fan and she even got a medal after this "race" and wore it around the house all morning!  
And, speaking of Daddy's accomplishments, on May 3rd he competed in the CB&I triathlon (sprint distance) here in The Woodlands and came in 2nd in his age group!!!  He had a great race finishing in 58:04 riding over 22 mph on the bike and running 5:54 minute miles (his swim pace was 1:47/100 m which I guess is pretty great, too, but since I am not a swimmer that doesn't mean much to me!)  When he told me his run times I did give him a huge "WOW" though-that impressed me!  Not bad for an almost 40 year old!  He's amazing!!  Oh, and I should definitely note that after the race he went on a 75 mile bike ride!  I am sure most of the other competitors in the race went home to nap but it was his long training day to ride so he had to fit in!!  He did take Sunday off at least :)  
We were there to see the start and it was a beautiful morning!
Giving us a pose before getting into the lake!

And, they're off!  When I told Joseph that the starting gun may be a little loud he looked at me and said, "Well, mom, no guns at school."  Yes, you're right Joseph!  
I didn't get any pictures of Daddy on the bike or the run but we were able to see him during each part and he even gave us high fives as he was finishing!  
Joseph and Ella were more intersted in the bridge and the lake towards the end! 
We hung out at Northshore Park for awhile after so that we could hear Daddy's name get called and that he could receive his award.  THey had live music that Ella was loving-she wasn't dancing but would just stand in front of the stage and stare!  
Here he is waiting for his award.  
A little more than 2 months left until the big race and we can't wait to see how well Daddy is going to do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment